9.10.2014

Finding Your Own Style

Hola! So this isn't going to be like my usual posts...this isn't going to be me making comments about photos. This is just going to be me talking about finding your own unique style. Now I know what some of you are probably thinking when you read that, but no, this isn't going to be one of those "be true, be you!" "don't be afraid to be yourself!" "let your inner star shine!" posts. I get that it's not easy to be yourself. It's hard to embrace yourself. Maybe you're afraid someone will tease you. Maybe you're afraid of getting laughed at, or bullied. It can be scary to think of what people might do or say if you wear what you want, so maybe what you do is become one of those typical, boring girls, who wears what everyone else does. Or maybe you wear baggy or shapeless clothes because you hate the way your body looks. Maybe you're ashamed. Maybe you don't know who you are. But things can change! You can work through it. You don't have to be a typical factory-made teenage (or tween) girl. I get that it's really hard to embrace yourself, but you can do it. You can step out of the perfect little Barbie world where everyone looks, acts and dresses the same. You are uniquely and wonderfully made, and you shouldn't let fear change that. Everyone goes through tough times. Awkward stages. Two years age I was hiding in big baggy t-shirts and sweatpants. I always wore my hair the same way. I never tried anything new. Then I went into a stage where I had to look like everyone else. I craved UGGs, Aeropostale sweaters, skinny jeans. I tried to fit in so hard it hurt. Now here I am...completely happy with the way I look, the way I dress. Because you can still fit in while listening to yourself. People don't run away from me like I have a disease. I don't have people making fun of me like crazy. Instead people ask me things. They ask where I buy my clothes, where I got the idea to pair a few things together. I've even noticed a couple girls copy me occasionally. The truth is, nobody is perfect. You might be looking at that gorgeous girl at school, wishing you looked just like her, but truth is, she's got a couple things she'd like to change about herself. While you look at that short girl wishing you could be like her and not tower over people, she's looking at you and wishing to be tall so people take her more seriously. But I'm willing to bet the world that you are gorgeous, and you've had at least 100 people in your life look at you and think "Wow, she's so pretty. I wish I looked like her." And I'll bet that if you try super hard you can reach deep down and yank out that inner style that's been begging to get out. So get cracking! If you think that sweater goes great with that skirt then put it on, and work it! Bullies will always exist, and they will always find some snide little comment to say about you. But if you ignore them, laugh at they're craziness, then you are one special girl. You will always matter. Always. Believe me, I know jerks can be hard to block out, but you need to try! And you can do it! There is no such thing as perfect. No one is perfect. So change it up, try something new. Have fun. Go wild! The only important thing is that you are having fun and are comfortable. And the next time someone is a total jerk to you about your appearance, simply turn and sassy-walk away. That's all there is to it. Now get out there and rock it girl! ttyl




3 comments: